Substance Misuse/ Abuse
- According to the Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) in 2009, there were almost 4.6 million drug-related emergency room visits and nearly half of those (2.1 million) were due to drug misuse or abuse
- A report from Trust for America’s Health, “Prescription Drug Abuse: Strategies to Stop the Epidemic 2013,” the cost of prescription opioid abuse is estimated to be over $50 billion in the US
- The volume of prescription opioids written in 2010 was enough to “medicate every American adult around the clock for one month”!
- According to the CDC, deaths from opioid pain relievers increased fivefold between 1999 and 2010 for women; while similar deaths among men increased 3.6 times. There were a reported 943,365 emergency department visits by women for drug misuse or abuse in 2010
- 23.5 million persons aged 12 or older needed treatment for an illicit drug or alcohol abuse problem in 2009 according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA)